Wednesday, August 20, 2008

About the Reviews

There has always been and there will always be only one reviewer for this site.

The reason the reviews are so eclectic style and quality-wise is because I began Asian Cinema Drifter at the start of my writing career and for the last four years, I've consistently been learning what makes good writing.

Basically, the earlier reviews I wrote are purely embarrassing and I have neither the time, nor the energy to go back, re-watch the film and rewrite a review. Chances are, another four years from now, I'll be ashamed of how bad I am now.

So, my solution has resulted in embracing generally three kinds of reviews on this website.

1. The normal long-form reviews with which I started Asian Cinema Drifter. The ones that don't make me cringe too much have been left alone.

2. The short "60 second" reviews that long-time visitors may remember. These are typically a short description and a very compact 1-2 paragraphs efficiently reviewing the film. These were my favorite because shorter and direct is better.

3. The "Good and the Bad" review format has been introduced in this blog incarnation of the site. It's rather self-explanatory. It consists of a short premise description, a sentence or two for each main positive of the film, and a sentence or two for each main negative.

There's a lot to read out there on the web and I'm the type of person that wants my information fast and to-the-point. As great as flowery, well-written, verbose film criticism is, it is its own seperate art form.

So this site will now be favoring the short and direct approach (#'s 2 and 3). Older long-form reviews will probably be converted, so if you miss an old review, contact me and maybe I'll send it to you for nostalgia's sake.

Hopefully this means I'll be able to review more films, and the reader will have an easier time with the one question this site was meant to answer:

"Do I watch this movie or what?"

No comments: